Beware Carbon Monoxide Poisoning


Carbon monoxide is a colorless, odorless, and tasteless gas that can be deadly.  Most people know that cars emit carbon monoxide, but forget that any fuel burning items can produce this gas. Gas burning furnaces, water heaters, stoves, ovens, dryers, fireplaces, propane stoves, portable generators, charcoal and gas grills can all turn from useful to dangerous if you’re not aware of how to manage them.

Statistically, more carbon monoxide poisoning cases are reported during the winter than any other time of the year. The symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning are common (i.e., headache, dizziness or light-headedness, and nausea), so many people don’t realize the cause of their sickness. Below are ways to ensure your family is protected.

  • Have your heating systems, water heaters, and other gas, oil, or coal-burning appliances inspected by a professional
  • Install battery-operated carbon monoxide detectors. These should be placed near the fuel burning appliances. Remember to change the batteries once a year.
  • Never use generators, camp stoves, charcoal grills, or any other gas or oil burning items inside your home. If using any of these outside make sure not to have them near a window.
  • Never run a motor vehicle inside the garage, even with the door up.
  • Make certain that all your fuel burning appliances are properly ventilated.
  • Never heat your home with a gas oven.



By following the above guidelines, you can help make certain your family is protected not just during these wintry months, but year round.

Have more questions? Call us – we’d love to help! Call the professionals at Go Green Plumbing at 336-252-2999 for service 7 days a week/24 hours a day.  If water runs through it – We Do It!

Go Green Will Be Closed on Monday, September 4th for Labor Day. Emergency Services Are available for Members Only.